Anyone applying for a Driveway Permit within the areas affected by the East Troublesome Fire are not required to pay for a new permit, providing the driveway design will remain the same as it was previously, even if it did not meet current Road & Bridge Driveway Standards.
If the driveway is being changed from its previous design or placement the driveway will need to meet current Road & Bridge Driveway Standards, and you will be required to submit and pay for a new permit.Before You Begin
Please refer to the before you build your driveway and place your culvert.
Driveway Permit Requirements
Please review the Driveway Permit Instructions before completing the Permit Application. You must submit a Permit Application for a driveway prior to submitting a Building Application.
An application fee of $125 must accompany your Permit Application. The Road & Bridge office can accept cash, check, and credit card payments. Call 970-887-2123 with any questions.
After the Road and Bridge Department receives the Permit Application for a driveway, a site visit will be scheduled to check for need / size of a culvert, grade of driveway or variance, and condition of the ditch.
Note: A Certificate of Occupancy will not be issued without an approved driveway. An engineered driveway is required for a design variance condition.
Driveway Design Criteria
- Driveways must be located at least five feet from the adjacent property line.
- Driveways must be 5% grade or less for the first 50 feet from an intersection with a county road.
- Circular driveways must have a minimum of 250-feet separation.
- A minimum driveway width of 14 feet is required.
- Driveways shall be surfaced with a minimum of 4 inches of Class 6 base material.
- Snow storage for driveways shall be provided on-site.
- Vehicle tracking controls shall be required wherever construction traffic will enter onto an improved road from construction site.
- Accumulated sediment shall be removed from the road at the end of each workday.
Culvert Design Criteria
- The minimum drainage culvert size is 15 inches in diameter unless otherwise designated during a site visit.
- Minimum cover shall be 12 inches.
- Acceptable drainage culvert pipe material includes 16-gauge corrugated metal pipe (CMP) or high-density polyethylene pipe (HDPE).
- Culverts shall be installed prior to on-site construction.
- Rocks or stakes shall not be placed around or on culverts.
When a Permit Is Not Required
A Driveway Permit is not required from Road and Bridge if any of the following applies:
- Driveway located within town limits
- Driveway accesses off a state highway
- Driveway accesses a private road