Driveway Permits

Before You Begin
Please refer to the Grand County Road and Bridge Driveway Design Standards before you submit your Driveway Permit Application to build your driveway and place your culvert.

Driveway Design Criteria
  • Driveways must be located at least five feet from the adjacent property line.
  • Driveways must be 5% grade or less for the first 50 feet from an intersection with a county road.
  • Circular driveways must have a minimum of 250-feet separation.
  • A minimum driveway width of 14 feet is required.
  • Driveways shall be surfaced with a minimum  inches of Class 6 base material.
  • Snow storage for driveways shall be provided on-site.
  • Vehicle tracking controls shall be required wherever construction traffic will enter onto an improved road from construction site. 
  • Accumulated sediment shall be removed from the road at the end of each workday.
Culvert Design Criteria
  • The minimum drainage culvert size is 15 inches in diameter unless otherwise designated during a site visit.
  • Minimum cover shall be 12 inches.
  • Acceptable drainage culvert pipe material includes 16-gauge corrugated metal pipe (CMP) or high-density polyethylene pipe (HDPE).
  • Culverts shall be installed prior to on-site construction.
  • Rocks or stakes shall not be placed around or on culverts.
Driveway Permit information:
You must obtain a driveway/access permit prior to submitting a building application. You MUST HAVE the following information:

Owner/Applicant name, mailing address, and phone number.
Legal description of the property.
Site/plot plan or drawing.
$75.00 fee (cash or check).
Have your driveway marked with stakes.
UNCC ticket number (Utility Notification Center of Colorado 1-800-922-1987 or 811) .
No Certificate of Occupancy will be issued without an approved driveway.
Road and Bridge will receive the application for driveway/access and schedule a site visit to check for need/size of a culvert, grade of driveway or variance, and condition of the ditch. The signed-off application you will receive must be included with your building application.

An engineered driveway is required for a design variance condition.

A permit is not required from Road and Bridge if:

Within town limits.
Accesses off a State Highway.
Accesses a private road.
The Colorado Dept of Transportation must have an access permit for driveways that access a State Highway: 
Phone (970) 248-7230; Fax (970) 248-7294