Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC)

What is a Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC)?

Local Emergency Planning Committes are designed to help communities prepare for and respond to emergencies involving hazardous substances. Every community in the United States must be part of a comprehensive plan. The Local Emergency Planning Committe works to understand chemical hazards in the community, develop emergency plans in case of an accidental release, and look for ways to prevent chemical accidents. LEPCs must develop an emergency response plan, review it at least annually, and provide information about chemicals in the community to citizens.

Working Together with the Mountain Communities of Grand County, Colorado

The Grand County Local Emergency Planning Committee is designed to prepare for and respond to hazardous emergencies in all the mountain towns of Grand County, including Winter Park, Fraser, Tabernash, Granby, Grand Lake, Hot Sulphur Springs, Parshall, and Kremmling, Colorado. By working together with the local communities, the county and its local emergency responders can stay informed about the hazardous materials present in order to formulate response plans in case of emergencies.

Tier II Reports

The Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA)

To reduce the likelihood of such a disaster in the United States, Congress imposed requirements for federal, state and local governments, tribes, and industry. These requirements covered emergency planning and "Community Right-to-Know" reporting on hazardous and toxic chemicals. The Community Right-to-Know provisions help increase the public’s knowledge and access to information on chemicals at individual facilities, their uses, and releases into the environment. States and communities, working with facilities, can use the information to improve chemical safety and protect public health and the environment.

View Tier II Reports

Tier II reports are available for viewing at the Grand County Office of Emergency Management: 81 West Agate, Granby, CO 80446.

Who Must Submit Tier II Reports?

Facilities covered by Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) requirements must submit an Emergency and Hazardous Chemical Inventory Form to the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC), the State Emergency Response Commission (SERC), and the local fire department annually. Facilities provide either a Tier I or Tier II form. Most States require the Tier II form. Some states have specific requirements in addition to the federal Tier II requirements. Facilities in Colorado must use Tier2 Submit.

What Chemicals and How Much?

All chemicals that require reporting are listed in the following publication along with the respective quantities: The Consolidated List of Chemicals Subject to the Emergency Planning and Community Right-To-Know Act (EPCRA) and Section 112(r) of the Clean Air Act
        • EPCRA Section 302 Extremely Hazardous Substances
        • CERCLA Hazardous Substances
        • EPCRA Section 313 Toxic Chemicals
        • CAA 112(r) Regulated Chemicals For Accidental Release Prevention

How to Submit?

Tier2 is a free software developed by the EPA and NOAA.  Click on the links below for further information.
Tier2 Submit Software
Tier II Forms and Instructions
Physical and Health Hazards Cross-Walk
Colorado Tier II Reporting Requirements and Procedures - PDF

Voluntary Tier II Submissions

Who Needs to Submit Voluntarily?

Occupancies not covered by Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) requirements may submit a list of chemicals to the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) to be distributed to your local area emergency responders only for informational purposes.

The intent of this group is to plan for the best response to your emergency as possible. So even though these submittals are voluntary, they are incredibly helpful in responder planning. We will not use any information for any purpose other the emergency response and planning.

What Chemicals and How Much?

If it’s flammable, explosive or poisonous in a quantity larger than what you could buy at the grocery or hardware store, it may be very helpful to your local emergency responders to be able to plan the best, safest response to your property.

The types of items that are important to responders would be chemicals and materials that would be of a type or quantity not normally available in a local retail store. For example, several gallons of house paint would not be, but a 25 gallon drum of paint or solvent in a garage would be. Also several hundred gallons of fuel storage, either above ground or below would be good for responders to know.

If you’re not sure, that’s o.k. Just send a list of what you’re wondering about and we’ll look through it. If you’d like we’ll get back to you and let you know what we think.

How to Submit?

  • Click HERE to use our online submission form now.
  • Simply send an email to HERE and we’ll forward it to the appropriate responders. Please include your name, the physical address for the property in Grand County, a good phone number and a list of the chemicals or materials you think would help plan a safe response in the event of an emergency at the property.

Contact Us

  1. Facebook logo Twitter logo  


    Alexis Kimbrough

    Get in Touch

    Ph: 970-531-2674

    Emergency: 911
    Fire Restrictions Phone Line: 970-725-3852

    Mailing Address

    P.O. Box 2578
    Fraser, CO 80442

    Physical Address

    350 CR 5103
    Fraser, CO 80442