The following memo was sent Monday, August 2, 2021 from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:
The national pandemic outlook is worsening, quickly. With a significant increase in COVID-19 cases per day over the last month, the Delta variant is representing roughly 90 percent of new cases in Colorado. While few vaccinated people get infected, reports of infections among fully immunized people suggest that this variant may be able to break through the vaccine barrier more often than previous iterations of the virus.
Face Masks Required
With transmissions increasing and hospitals experiencing increased needs in caring for COVID-19-positive patients, CDC is recommending that vaccinated individuals resume wearing masks indoors in "substantial or high transmission" areas. VA continues to follow CDC guidance and much of our metro and suburban areas are showing a substantial risk. El Paso County shows a high risk.
Regardless of vaccination status, properly worn face masks are required. They must cover the nose and mouth. They must fit tight around the nose and chin with no large gaps around the sides of the face.
Masks are required in all facilities, including all common areas or shared workspaces – open floorplan office spaces, cubicle embankments, conference rooms, and VA vehicles. Wear masks in outdoor shared spaces where physical distancing cannot be maintained. Consistent with CDC guidelines, exceptions are permitted when an individual is alone in an office with floor-to-ceiling walls and a closed door, or when eating or drinking and maintaining distancing.
VHA Directive 1193 Published
In publishing VHA Directive 1193 this week, VA Secretary Denis Richard McDonough said, "whenever a Veteran or VA employee sets foot in a VA facility, they deserve to know that we have done everything in our power to protect them from COVID-19." The directive requires all our Title 38 health care personnel to get fully vaccinated within 8 weeks, and we will work with those approximately 1,200 VA ECHCS employees to ensure their compliance. Current employees impacted by this directive have until Sept. 22.
Vaccines remain readily available across our health care system and, if you haven’t done so already, I encourage you to get vaccinated immediately.
Stopping the Spread of COVID-19 Variants & Serious Illness
COVID-19 vaccinations remain our best protection, even against the Delta variant. While the vaccine remains highly effective, it’s not 100-percent effective. But fully vaccinated individuals are much less likely to get seriously ill. Symptoms vary. They're sometimes confused with allergies. Anyone with respiratory symptoms should get tested for COVID-19 – even if they also have allergies, even if fully vaccinated.
Every day we have nurses across our health care system confronting vaccine hesitancy. Help them by letting an unvaccinated Veteran know that we will partner in their research into vaccine effectiveness and safety. To learn more about this effort, you can watch and share this video posted today on our Facebook page.
Attention Veterans and Family members who have a VBA overpayment.
If you are affected by the COVID-19 (CORONAVIRUS), have a VBA benefit debt and need temporary financial relief, please contact DMC at 1-800-827-0648 to request assistance
Letter from Michael T. Kilmer, Director, VA Easter Colorado Health Care System
I am Michael T. Kilmer, Director of VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System. I want to update you on our response to the COVID-19 pandemic. First, I believe that our proactive efforts have and will continue to make a difference in flattening the curve of this pandemic. Weeks ago, we stopped elective surgeries, implemented the screening of everyone who comes to any of our sites of care and we are no longer allowing visitors unless needed for caregiver support or palliative care reasons. Read More...
VA EHCHCS Business Center Closing to In-Person Appointments
To further protect the health of our Veterans and staff, the VA ECHCS Business Center is closing to in-person appointments, effective today, 23 March 2020. The link below explains how Veterans can access travel pay, Veteran Health Identification Cards (VHIC), release of information, eligibility/enrollment, etc. until our Business Center reopens for in-person customer service. The VA ECHCS Business Center will only be allowing in-person customer service for new enrollees and new VHIC card issue.
The Veterans Office prides itself in assisting veterans and their dependents to obtain the benefits they have earned. The Veterans Office has most Veterans Administration application forms on hand. The Veterans Office can help with these questions and many more:
- Request for Copies of Military Discharges
- Request for Home Loan Eligibility
- Request for Service-Connected Compensation
- Request for Veterans Administration Pension
- Request for Veterans Administration Health Care Benefits
- Request for Burial / Death Benefits
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." - Theodore Roosevelt
Fraser Safeway Supports Veterans with 10% Discount
Fraser Safeway store will offer a 10% discount on groceries to all active duty, reserve and retired military personnel Nov. 11‐17th, and will continue to offer the 10% discount on the first Saturday of every month. The discount programs further the company’s commitment and appreciation to customers who have served our country.
Job Opportunity for Veterans
70 West Trucking, LLC, a local Colorado company, is hiring seasonal / part time / full time ready mix concrete truck driver operators in Fraser, Winter Park, Granby areas.
$25 to $30 an hour, depending on experience.
Full healthcare programs are available after 15 days of employment if hired on a full time basis.
- Safely and efficiently operate concrete mixer truck transporting ready mix concrete to and from various job sites and residences as directed by the plant manager or dispatcher.
- Interact with dispatchers and customers to ensure proper delivery, placement, and payment.
- Visually inspect the quality and consistency of concrete in the mixer truck.
- Perform pre-trip equipment inspections including tire pressure, brakes, air pressure, fluid levels, lights (headlights, brake lights, running lights, etc.).
- Fill out vehicle inspection and maintenance report at the end of each day.
- Operate vehicles safely in a variety of conditions, both on and off road, and ability to work a varying schedule as the work dictates.
- Be comfortable driving in mountain terrain.
- Must be able to work 40+ hour weeks
- High school diploma or GED
- We welcome Military Veterans
- Must be efficient, productive, and provide good customer service.
- One year of work experience operating heavy tandem axle trucks (mixer truck experience preferred).
- Must be able to read, write, and understand written and oral instructions in English.
- Must be able to operate a tandem truck with manual transmission.
- Must have general knowledge of Department of Transportation rules and regulations, vehicle safety, concrete material handling, equipment maintenance, vehicle weight capacities, road weight limits, and basic GPS navigation.
- Must have a valid CDL license, Class B with Air Brake endorsement.
- Must have a clean driving record and be able to pass a DOT physical and drug screen.
- No criminal background.