Since 2000, the Grand County Housing Authority, in partnership with Colorado Housing and Finance Authority has sponsored monthly home-buyer education classes at no cost to the general public.
To attend it's as easy as registering for the class.
Please call Sheena Darland at (970) 725-3071.
Our mission: To give potential first time home-buyers the skills needed to become successful homeowners. To enhance the ability of lenders to extend mortgage credit to lower and moderate-income customers by educating those customers on how to obtain a mortgage they can afford.
Curriculum & Learning Objectives
- Preparing for Home-ownership Identify what participants want and need in a home. How much can participants afford to spend on a home?
- How to increase their buying power.
- Shopping for a home. How to work with a realtor. Finding the "right" house. Negotiating the purchase. How to obtain and use a home inspection.
- Obtaining. a Mortgage. Shopping for an affordable mortgage. The loan process. What to do if your application is rejected.
- Closing. What to expect at closing and settlement
- Life as a homeowner. How to meet ongoing financial obligations of homeownership. How to take advantage of financial opportunities that come with homeownership.
In addition to the above information, participants with any credit/or budgeting problems will be given the opportunity to meet with an adviser to come up with a plan to address their individual issues.